With the first major review of the nation’s food system in 75 years now underway, the British poultry meat sector is well placed to contribute towards a ‘National Food Strategy’ to ensure that food supply is seen as a national security issue.
BPC’s new campaign – ‘Food on every table’ calls on the Government to deliver a sustainable food strategy that guarantees safe, nutritious and affordable British food to British standards for everyone.
Richard Griffiths, Chief Executive, British Poultry Council said:
“British Poultry Council’s work on ‘British Food Values’ and ‘Responsible Businesses’ has resulted in growing recognition amongst policymakers about continuity of British food production as a critical factor in ensuring access and affordability of British food for all. Now is the time to build on this work and reinforce our commitment to the government’s National Food Strategy with our new ‘#FoodOnEveryTable campaign which has feeding the nation at its core.”
‘Food on every table’ campaign highlights the country’s responsibility to ensure everyone, including the most vulnerable has access to safe, nutritious and affordable British food. The five key campaign asks are:
• Maintaining a secure supply of food that recognises British standards in post-Brexit trade deals
• Ensuring access to labour post-Brexit
• Putting food on the table to alleviate hunger
• Using British food as a catalyst for improving health, wellbeing and social care
• Securing a sustainable future for British food by achieving the UN’s SDGs
Follow #FoodOnEveryTable to find out more.